Friday, December 05, 2008

Pope Benedict XVI's Letter on the Death of Patriarch Alexy II

12/5/2008
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)

In my prayer I beseech the Lord to welcome into his Kingdom of eternal peace and joy this tireless servant

ROMA (Catholic Online) - The Holy See has released the text of His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI's Letter on the passing to the Lord of His Holiness Alexy II, Patriarch of Moscow and of All the Russias:

****

I was profoundly saddened to receive news of the death of His Holiness Alexy II, Patriarch of Moscow and of All the Russias, and with fraternal affection I wish to convey to the Holy Synod and to all the Members of the Russian Orthodox Church my most sincere condolences, assuring you of my spiritual closeness at this very sad time.

In my prayer I beseech the Lord to welcome into his Kingdom of eternal peace and joy this tireless servant, and to grant consolation and comfort to all those who mourn his passing. Mindful of the common commitment to the path of mutual understanding and cooperation between Orthodox and Catholics,

I am pleased to recall the efforts of the late Patriarch for the rebirth of the Church, after the severe ideological oppression which led to the martyrdom of so many witnesses to the Christian faith. I also recall his courageous battle for the defence of human and Gospel values, especially in the European Continent, and I trust that his commitment will bear fruit in peace and genuine progress, human, social and spiritual.
more...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home