Sunday, November 06, 2005

JPII's admonishment against murder helped gain confessions from guilt-ridden IRA men

Sunday Life

Into The Dark: Taking IRA confessions... with a little help from the pope

06 November 2005

THE words of Pope John Paul II helped me gain many a confession from guilt-ridden IRA men.

"Murder is murder is murder," said John Paul II during his visit to Ireland in 1979, and there was no mistaking the genuine admonishment in his tone.

From January 1979, I spent five years as a detective in nationalist west Belfast - based first in Andersonstown station and later at Woodbourne.

When I arrived in the 'wild west' from Bangor, where I was based for a short time, an older detective asked: "What did you do to deserve to be sent to this God-forsaken hellhole?"

"I volunteered. I wanted a challenge," I answered truthfully.

more...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home