Monday, November 27, 2006

Benedict at the “Hinge of the World”: The Pontiff Heads for Istanbul

Inside the Vatican
by Dr. Robert Moynihan

November 26, 2006

At first there was just a carpet of cloud, and in the distance, a blue expanse beyond the clouds, which I took to be the Aegean. Then the plane descended through the clouds and the curving runways of the Istanbul Airport appeared. The plane touched down as lightly as a comforter is spread on a bed and came to a stop.

My first impressions were of the letters, many K's and Y's and H's, or so it seemed to me. And the round heads of the Turks, strong round skulls and short-cropped hair.

I walked through the airport, which was like all modern airports. There was a window to get a visa - three months for Americans at $20, or 15 euros. I showed my passport, the attendant pulled out a sticker and pasted it into the passport, and I handed him a $20 bill. It took all of seven seconds.
more...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home