Sunday, April 20, 2008

Pope leaves thanking America and pointing to Christ our Hope



New York, Apr 20, 2008 / 08:14 pm (CNA).- Pope Benedict took his leave this evening from the United States at JFK International Airport in the presence of over 3,000 well-wishers.

“The time has come for me to bid farewell to your country,” the Pope said.

“These days that I have spent in the United States have been blessed with many memorable experiences of American hospitality, and I wish to express my deep appreciation to all of you for your kind welcome. It has been a joy for me to witness the faith and devotion of the Catholic community here,’ Benedict XVI shared.

The Holy Father then recalled the various highlights of his trip:

“It was heart-warming to spend time with leaders and representatives of other Christian communities and other religions, and I renew my assurances of respect and esteem to all of you. I am grateful to President Bush for kindly coming to greet me at the start of my visit, and I thank Vice-President Cheney for his presence here as I depart. The civic authorities, workers and volunteers in Washington and New York have given generously of their time and resources in order to ensure the smooth progress of my visit at every stage, and for this I express my profound thanks and appreciation to Mayor Adrian Fenty of Washington and Mayor Michael Bloomberg of New York.”
more...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home