Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Apostles bring the true joy of Christ to all, says the Pope

Vatican City, Sep 10, 2008 / 09:59 am (CNA).- Speaking to 9,000 pilgrims gathered at the Paul VI Hall this morning, Pope Benedict reflected on St. Paul as an apostle of Jesus Christ. Though he did not belong to the group of the Twelve that Jesus called during his ministry, Paul nevertheless claims the title for himself, he explained.

The Pope recalled St. Paul's first letter to the Corinthians, where Paul writes, "For I am the least of the apostles, not fit to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me has not been ineffective. Indeed, I have toiled harder than all of them; not I, however, but the grace of God (that is) with me." The grace of God transformed Paul from a persecutor to a founder of Churches.

St. Paul, the Holy Father continued, "shared the three principal characteristics of a true apostle."
more...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home