Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Sorrowful Mysteries: Agony in the Garden

By Jennifer Hartline 2/26/2009
Catholic Online (http://www.catholic.org/)

There is so much to be gained from thoughtfully considering, and yes, dwelling on the events leading to Calvary.


Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.

CHESAPEAKE, Va. (Catholic Online) - From now until Easter we offer all our rosary prayers within the context of the Sorrowful Mysteries. I have found throughout my life a tendency to resist dwelling on these painful events – a common human experience, I think. We instinctively turn away from pain and try to avoid it at all costs.

But as they say, “No pain, no gain.” There is so much to be gained from thoughtfully considering, and yes, dwelling on the events leading to Calvary. But this is uncomfortable stuff and very hard to face with a serious degree of reflection. (I still have to squelch the urge sometimes to skip over these cruel and heartbreaking scenes and go straight to the Glorious!)

I never hesitate to proclaim there’s nothing I wouldn’t do for one of my children because I love them so.

I love my Jesus, too. This year I feel challenged to sit still and do the uncomfortable…reflect on the agony, contemplate the wickedness, listen to the hatred, wince at the excruciating pain…and see myself in all of it.

He did it all…for me. He loves me so.
more...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home