Friday, February 27, 2009

The Sorrowful Mysteries: Scourging at the Pillar

By Jennifer Hartline
2/27/2009
Catholic Online (http://www.catholic.org/)

Every agonizing moment of pain he endured was to secure my peace. His punishment, my freedom.My impurities are not beaten out of me; they were beaten out of Him.


Flogging… they used a whip made of several strips of leather that were embedded at the ends with pieces of bone and lead. No Roman limitation was placed on the number of lashings inflicted, and often the victim didn’t survive the flogging. Jesus did.

CHESAPEAKE, VA (Catholic Online) - Jennifer Hartline continues her series of reflections on the Sorrowful Mysteries:

2nd Sorrowful Mystery: The Scourging at the pillar

“Then Pilate took Jesus and had him flogged.” John 19:1

Let this mystery teach us purity, and to accept God’s will.

Flogging… they used a whip made of several strips of leather that were embedded at the ends with pieces of bone and lead. No Roman limitation was placed on the number of lashings inflicted, and often the victim didn’t survive the flogging. Jesus did.

“But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed.” Isaiah 53:5

Every blow from that cruel whip was for my sake. Every vicious tear in His flesh, every drop of precious blood that flowed was for my healing. Every agonizing moment of pain he endured was to secure my peace. His punishment, my freedom.
more...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home